Return To Blog

Denver Criminal Lawyer Explains How to Get Car Insurance After A DUI

October 18, 2017

People that have been convicted of DUI must have car insurance in order to regain their driving privileges. But, finding car insurance after a DUI can sometimes be a challenge according to John L. Buckley, a Denver DUI defense lawyer. If you are a DUI offender looking for car insurance, follow these tips:

Be prepared.

Before beginning, it’s important to understand that your rates will not be as low as they were prior to your arrest. Now that you have a DUI on your record, insurance companies view you as a high-risk driver. This means that your rates will increase significantly for the next several years.

Contact multiple companies.

Anyone that has been convicted of a DUI must get a SR-22 document, which is basically proof of insurance, from the insurance company. Unfortunately, some insurance companies will not provide this to you, so you may need to contact multiple companies to find one that is willing to work with a DUI offender.

Consider alternative options.

Get quotes from a few different insurance companies so you have a better idea of how much you will have to pay now that you are a high-risk driver. At this point, you may come to the realization that you can no longer afford car insurance. If this is the case, think of other ways you can get around town while you wait for the DUI to come off of your insurance record. You may want to consider taking public transportation or carpooling with a friend or family member until your rates have dropped back down.

Obtain the SR-22.

Don’t forget that the insurance company that you do business with must prepare an SR-22 document and file it with the DMV on your behalf. Even though it is the insurance company’s responsibility to file this document, you should still check in and make sure that they didn’t forget to do this. Learn more about the SR-22 and other insurance requirements in Colorado.

Don’t miss payments.

DUI offenders should always make on-time auto insurance payments. If a DUI offender fails to make a payment, the SR-22 will be canceled and the insurance company will immediately notify the DMV to let them know that you are no longer insured. As soon as they are notified, the DMV will suspend your driver’s license until a new SR-22 in your name is filed. For this reason, it’s important to remember to make on-time payments so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of having a suspended license.  

If you are arrested and charged with DUI, it’s in your best interest to get in touch with the Law Office of John Buckley right away. Our criminal defense attorneys will work tirelessly to defend your rights and ensure you receive the best legal representation possible. We will do everything possible to prove your innocence so you do not have to worry about how your conviction will affect your car insurance. Contact John L. Buckley as soon as possible to schedule a legal consultation regarding your DUI case.