If you live in Arapahoe County, Colorado and are otherwise qualified to serve on a jury, you have a 2% chance of receiving a summons to serve on the Aurora Theater shooting trial. There are roughly 450,000 eligible jurors in Arapahoe County and Judge Samour has instructed the jury commissioner to summon 9000 prospective jurors.
Defense attorneys for Mr. Holmes had requested additional time to review 5000 pages of the latest sanity examination but the court has denied this request. Jury selection is scheduled to begin on January 20, 2015.
The legal qualifications for jury service are:
- you are 18 years or older
- you reside in Arapahoe County at least 50% of the time
- you are a United States citizen
- you can read, speak, and understand the English language
- you have not served on a jury within the preceding 12 months
- you don't have sole responsibility for the care of a permanently disabled person who lives with you and where your juror service would likely cause a substantial risk of injury to the health of that disabled person
- you don't have a physical or mental disability that would affect your ability to serve as a juror.
Jury selection alone is expected to last two to three months and the trial itself should take four to five months.
Many other frequently asked questions about jury service in Colorado can be found at the Colorado Judicial Branch